Total Pageviews

Monday 12 October 2015

Bucket List- The Taking of Deborah Logan



   Last month I posted my "Top 10 upcoming movies of 2014" so, I came up with the idea to post reviews entitled "Bucket List" because the movies that were on my list are just like a bucket list in a way, at least for a horror movie fan like me. This is my sixth most anticipated horror movie of the year.

Synopsis
   Mia, Gavin, and Luis are a documentary team set to create a documentary about Deborah, an elderly woman suffering from Alzheimer's disease. Deborah is reluctant to be filmed, but agrees to the project after her daughter Sarah reminds her that they need the money to keep the house from being repossessed. While they are filming, Sarah and Deborah talk about earlier years when Deborah worked as a switchboard operator for her own answering service business to make ends meet, as her husband had died when Sarah was very young. Deborah details how she would receive calls for some of the most rich and powerful people in town and how she would have to keep various secrets for them or risk losing their business.

My Thoughts
   I recently watched The Taking of Deborah Logan and there are a few things I want to discuss. Reading the synopsis I did not know what to expect other than it being a found-footage horror flick about an elderly lady with Alzheimer’s disease; which was interesting enough since I had minimal knowledge about the disease.

   With physical/mental illnesses being so real and having found-footage directing for a horror flick, it can only intensify fear within you. Also having the film crew be young adults made it very relatable which in turn made the film even more frightening.

   What I want to mostly shed light on is how I felt after watching The Taking of Deborah Logan. Firstly, I really liked the plot; it was something new, fresh, and real. As the movie progresses you find out more about the demon and its victim (Deborah). Secondly, the demons back story is not one you will find in a horror movie; it is gruesome, vile, and involves rattle snakes. Thirdly, the way they transitioned a physical/mental illness into a demonic possession was amazing and flowed perfectly. For someone who does not know much about Alzheimer’s, I found it frightening how well they were able to combine the two opposites together without making it cliché. There was however one scene that made me laugh a bit because it looked very amateur. It happens in the kitchen and involves the countertop but that is all I will say about the scene so I do not give much away. Lastly, I want to discuss the action sequence and the final clip in the film. Now, the action sequence was horrifying especially since it involved a snake-like demonic appetite and a cancer patient who happened to be a child. Even though the action sequence kept me on my feet, the last clip in The Taking of Deborah Logan was so cliché and was not even needed in the film and if it was it should have at least been altered in some way.

RATING: 3/5

   Don’t let the demons bite or do, YOU FREAKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment